Homemade Apricot Bites
Super Snack! Homemade Apricot Bites are a sweet little something for lunchboxes and snack time with no added sugar.
As a kid, I LOVED those little apricot bites – super sweet, ‘dusted’ in sugar and ‘healthy’, because they had apricots in them!
Now that I’m a mature adult :), I realise that not only were these little morsels probably a bit over the top in the sugar department but they also contain many ingredients that simply aren’t necessary (e.g. vegetable oil, preservatives). Plus, they are relatively expensive as a ‘snack’.
This recipe is a fast one. Just whizz everything up and put it in the fridge to set.
Try different dried fruits and combinations. Sultanas, cranberries, apple and pear would all be great.
I have included cashew nuts in the recipe but this is totally optional. The recipe will work just fine without them.
- 2 cups (300g) dried apricots
- ⅓ cup (50g) pitted dates
- 1 cup (85g) desiccated coconut
- ¼ cup (35g) cashews (optional)
- Extra coconut for coating (optional)
- Line a small loaf tin or slice tray with baking paper.
- Combine all the ingredients in food processor (or thermo machine) and pulse several times until ingredients are no longer in big chunks. Scrape down sides of bowl if necessary. Process for a further 20-30 seconds.
- Press mixture into pan and smooth out top with a spatula or back of spoon. Put into the refrigerator to set for up to an hour.
- Remove from the pan and slice up into bars or pieces - whatever takes your fancy! If you like, roll the bars/pieces in extra desiccated coconut. Store in refrigerator.
- If the mixture is a little dry, try adding a couple more dates or some sultanas.
- Other types of coconut can be used - shredded or flaked.
- Most dried fruit has been treated with preservatives (sulphur dioxide) to maintain colour. If your budget permits, buying preservative free dried fruit is ideal. Plus, the flavour (particularly for apricots) is much better.
Hope you enjoy this super snack. I’d love to hear any flavour combinations you come up with. Sam 🙂