Simple Strawberry & Vanilla Jam
One pan, one jar, 4 ingredients and 30 minutes is all you need to capture the taste and fragrance of fresh strawberries.
Servings: 250 ml
- 250 g fresh strawberries 1 punnet, washed, hulled, chopped
- 1 green apple chopped (including seeds)
- ¾ cup sugar rapadura
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Put all ingredients into a small saucepan and over moderate heat.
Bring to a boil then reduce heat and cook at a gentle boil for around 30 minutes. While cooking, place the saucepan lid loosely over the pan so that a small amount of steam can escape.
When the mixture is done, the texture will change from 'foamy' in appearance to a more glossy finish. Remove from heat and pour into a sterilised jar.
The mixture may be chunky, depending on how finely the fruit was chopped up at the start. if you want it smoother, simply mash with a fork - the fruit will break up easily - before pouring into the jar.
- While a sterilised jar isn't critical, particularly if the jam will be eaten quickly, the cleaner the jar or container, the less chance of contamination and mould forming.
- You can easily scale the recipe to make larger quantities, however the cooking time may need to be adjusted.
- The recipe can be easily done in a 'thermo' machine. For step 2 cook for 18 minutes/varoma/speed 1.